Flood Insurance

Is Your Property at Risk of Flood Damage?

It seems like every year, catastrophic weather events are on the increase in California, many of them resulting in flooding. Rising sea levels and storm surges, even inland, are a threat to property owners. To protect your home or business, flood insurance is an excellent choice, as it’s not included in normal insurance policies such as business property insurance or homeowner insurance.

What Are the Two Types of Flood Insurance?

There are two basic types of flood insurance on the market today.


In 1968, the US Congress developed the National Flood Insurance Program. The goal was to protect property owners who had suffered devastating damage after floods. This program is not available to everyone, but it is available to communities that participate in it. Eligible communities meet FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) criteria that demonstrate they have tried to reduce the risk of flooding in their area. Participants in NFIP can be homeowners, renters, or business owners.

Private Flood Insurance

If you’re not eligible for NFIP flood insurance because of your location, you can still purchase private flood insurance. It might be a bit more expensive, but it has two benefits: higher caps on claims and an increased range of protections.

Our agents would welcome the opportunity to meet with you to discuss what type of flood insurance is right for you so you get coverage that suits your needs and your budget. At Circadian, we are independent agents, so we have more insurance products available to us than big insurance companies.

What Does Flood Insurance Cover?

We’re known for being insurance educators too. We want you to understand the difference between ACV (actual cash value) and RCV (replacement cost value), which are the two methods used to reimburse claimants with flood insurance policies.

What does flood insurance cover?

The building structure:

    • 1. The building and its foundation, including plumbing and electrical systems
    • 2. Furnaces, water heaters, and central air conditioning equipment
    • 3. Built-in appliances such as dishwashers, as well as large appliances like refrigerators and stoves
    • 4. All carpeting that is permanently installed over subflooring

The building contents:

    • 1. Furnishings
    • 2. Electronics
    • 3. Clothing and personal belongings
    • 4. Small appliances like microwaves and portable washers
    • 5. Carpeting not covered by structure coverage
    • 6. Clothes washers and dryers
    • 7. Portable and window air conditioning units

Call us at 925-417-8500 or use our online form to request more information about flood insurance. You don’t want to wait until a flood damages your property. Get the protection you need today.

Insurance Quotes

Give us some info and we’ll help you find the best coverage options.

Insurance Partners

Connect Online